COVID19  notice: Cardno is still open, however, product availability and delivery times may be affected. For information please contact us Tel: +44 1582 662241 Email:

Frequently Asked Questions

We know that sometimes you might not know what's exactly the right tool for the job and that terminology can often be confusing, so we've put together a list of Frequently Asked Questions to help you.

If you still have questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch.


Q: What does EWL mean?

A: Estimated Working Length – for a round sling it equals the straight line pull.


Q: Why do slings come in different colours?

A: The colour denotes the tonnage of the sling e.g. purple = 1Tonne


Q: Why should I use a snatch block when winching?

A: A snatch block is (a) kind to the winch rope (b) allows the user to change direction (c) it increases line pull.


Q: What information do I need before I order a winch rope?

A: The diameter of the rope (normally found on the winch or in the winch manual). The length (refer to the winch manual) and the hook type.


Q: What length wire rope do I need for my winch?

A: This depends on day-to-day operations. Refer to the winch manual.


Q: What is the difference between your oval link wheel choker and your supasoft wheel choker?

A: The Oval link wheel choker prolongs the life of the straps whereas the supasoft wheel choker is kind to alloy wheels.


Q: Do ‘tie-down’ straps need a certificate?

A: No they do not, however, they do need to carry a rating label showing the MBL & Lashing Capacity.


Q: What do the lines of stitching mean in webbing straps?

A: the number of lines in webbing denotes tonnage eg 5 lines = 5Tonnes


Q: Can I repair my hooks?

A: Yes if the catch has been damaged or lost you can buy a new catch.


Q: What are Slippery Jim’s?

A: There are 2 types on the market today. One is interlocking so the skates can be joined together (Wreckmaster Skate). The other is a smooth solid construction called the Easi Skate. Both types aid the recovery of vehicles when winching up onto a truck bed.


Q: How is winch rope constructed?

A: There are 3 main types of wire rope in us today: 6x7, 6x19 & 6x36. This means that the rope is made up of 6 bundles of wires with 7, 19 or 36 wires in each bundle. The more wires there are in a rope the more flexible the rope is. Rope then either has a wire or fibre core that runs down the centre of the rope. Cardno only uses 6x36 wire steel core for maximum strength & flexibility.


Q: Why does my winch rope have a stamped SWL that seems to be lower than it should be?

A: Wire rope has to be rated for lifting, which requires a minimum break strength to be divided by 5 eg: 10mm (6x36) 1960 N/MM2 has a min breakload of 7113KG and a Safe Working Load of 1423KG


Q: Why should I wear Class 3 clothing?

A: Class 3 clothing is the highest class of clothing so you are covered to work in all locations including Motorways.


Q: What is a strap brother?

A: A strap brother sometimes called a ‘centre pull’ strap, ‘Y’ strap and ‘A’ strap, is essentially a winching aid which enables the operator to get a central line pull on a vehicle.


Q: Do I need Gojaks or wheel skates?

A: If you are moving vehicles around on a flat smooth surface use Gojaks. If you are moving vehicles up ramps or on a rough terrain use wheel skates.